Friday, February 5, 2010

Raising My Daughter With ODD!

How many of you have a child with ODD(Oppositional Defiant Disorder)? I do and it is a struggle everyday. My daughter was diagnosed with ODD when she was three years old. Being independent and strong-willed is like having ODD, the difference is the tantrums, controlling, defiance and aggressiveness that goes along with ODD. A child with ODD has trouble making and keeping friends, they tend to do poorly academically, and they do not follow rules set forth by adults. My daughter seems to think that she is her boss and they no one should tell her what to do or correct her. I try so hard everyday to make her realize that she is a child and that she has to listen to authority figures. It is such a struggle getting her to cooperate and understanding that she has to give in and know that she has to live by rules. She is very kind hearted and loves to help people, but she doesn't like other people helping her. She wants things done her way. You have got to have a lot of patience with a child with ODD as mine are tested everyday. Doctors tell me that there is really no known cause for ODD and that I have to set rules and stick to them and get her on a schedule and stick to it. What I do with her is I find something for her to do like making receipts out for me or going through my inventory of things and writing it down...things to keep her mind occupied. When I tell her something that she should or shouldn't do, I always have to hear what she thinks about it...instead of just following along with what I tell her, she always has to come back with something. It is a struggle to cope with the defiance that she has. I know that everyday will be a test to see if things that I am doing to help her will really help her. You have got to show a child with ODD that you are in charge and try not to let your emotions get the best of you. I just sit and cry sometimes worrying about her and wondering if I went wrong somewhere. I love her with all my heart and I just hope and pray that I can do what is necessary to help her. I know that this is a struggle for her to and seeing your child be like this is so heart breaking. I just take it one day at a time and have faith that things will get better. I have taken her to so many doctors and it has helped a lot but I have realized that this is something that we have to be in control of. It is the ones that are around her all the time and the ones that have a personal relationship with her that have to be there for her. She is my baby and no matter what I will always be there for her and lead her in the right direction...She can't do it by herself. If any of you have children like this, I know what you are going through. It is so hard to deal with and I tell myself everyday that I can't give up. She depends on me...even if she doesn't think she does.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness gracious! We are in the same boat, dear. My daughter is more than a handful. It's as if you were describing her perfectly in this post. They are wonderful children, and gifted in their own unique way. We are blessed to have been chosen to lead these children. We'll do just fine, you wait and see!

    ReplyDelete